Sunday 19 April 2009

The first on the new culinary experiences list.

One of the things on my list is to eat or drink 10 new things.

Last night, without any effort on my part really, I was given the opportunity to do the first one: raw oysters. I may at some stage have eaten cooked oysters, though I can't remember doing so, but I know for sure I ha never done the raw slurp it down thing. Until yesterday.

Yes, I know this is a delicacy. They were even bluff oysters, which are famous in these parts. Uncooked, but for a squirt or two of lemon juice, just like the purists say we should do them. So I faced my fear of all things slimy, and slurped one down.

Have to admit, not wildly impressed. They taste ok, salty and much like the sea. But I am unconvinced by the slimy texture thing. Glad I did it, cos raw oysters are one of those things you just have to do. But don't think I'll be seeking them out again.

Still, 1 down, 9 to go. :)

No comments: